Paper: Visualizing dipole radiation
Girwidz, R. V. (2016). Visualizing dipole radiation. European Journal of Physics, 37(6), 065206, pp 1-13.
This program offer various options to show characteristics about dipole radiation (Herzian dipole and half-wave dipole). Multiple representations and combined illustrations are used to give insight into spatial and temporal characteristics of field distributions and the flow of energy.
Videoclips created from "DipoleRadiation"
Special topics are:
- Radiation pattern and structure of the electromagnetic field
- Detachment of field lines and generation of closed loops
- Field lines of E and H in three dimensional pictures and animations
- Near field and far field, phase relationship between E and H
- Flow of energy, illustrations with Poynting vectors
- Half wave dipole in contrast to a Hertzian dipole
- Electric field lines seen as contour lines of a potential function.
Snapshot showing electric field lines of a Hertzian dipole and the flow of energy.